Monday, April 12, 2010

500 Degrees Review

Brian says: 500 degrees is "A Burger Joint" brought to you by the owners of Rouge. Don't let the size fool you; one of these tasty little guys will fill you up. The word slider has been thrown around to describe them, but the term just barely applies. The patty and bun are considerably thicker than a typical slider. Cooked to order, the beef is high quality and extremely juicy. The bun seems a bit daunting at first but becomes more manageable as the brioche soakes up a little juice. I am not typically a French fry fan. I like them, but could still enjoy a life deprived of them. As good as the burgers are at 500 degrees, the fries are why I have been back twice, even foregoing the burger on one occasion. They are like shoestring fries only flatter with crispy edges. The truffle fries are fantastic and unique. I really like the spicy fries and would prefer them to anyone else's spicy fries, but I just can't choose them over the truffle.

Bridget says: Be ready to order when you reach the register, transactions are made in under one minute. Seating is communal around two large tables; we stalked out stools at the counter. Ask for your burger medium-rare as recommended by 500 degrees. Dipping sauces and pickles come on the side. The brioche bun is adorable. I went for the gusto and included a shake in my combo- do the same if you don't intend to eat again until tomorrow (I skipped dinner, so stuffed). The truffle fries are delightful. Check it out: 1504 Sansom Street, Philadelphia.
Brian scored me a free tee shirt at the tasting.


1 comment: