Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Philly Pride


In Elizabeth Gilbert's memoir Committed, I read the following passage about her boyfriend's honest and hilarious sentiment on trading Bali for the suburbs of Philadelphia:

"I will never forget one of the last enchanting evenings that he and I spent together at his cottage there [in Bali]- sitting outside, barefoot and dewy-skinned from the warm November air, drinking wine and watching a sea of constellations flicker above rice fields. As the perfumed winds rustled the palm trees and as faint music from a distant temple ceremony floated on the breeze, Felipe looked at me, sighed, and said flatly, 'I'm so sick of this shit. I can't wait to go back to Philly.'"


Likewise, in a recent episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Charlie confesses to never having been outside of Philadelphia. While he admits to a "general fear of it" (leaving), "a fear of the unknown, a fear of change, a fear of... gypsies", he denies it to The Gang, saying, "I'm not scared, I just haven't left Philly ever. Why leave Philly, you know?"

Well said, guys.

1 comment: